Monday, January 3, 2011

Kinsley's Tree For Nursery

Trying to fill up all the walls in a nursery is hard work!
THINKING of what to put on all these walls is even HARDER work!!
I had my mind set on putting a tree with some birds on it on one of the walls,
but didn't realize how expensive this could be! And I am not experienced enough with my Silhouette machine to make a tree and print it off myself, so we painted one!!
First we had to measure it out, 55x80 is roughly what the dimensions ended up being!
Here's my mom measuring it out:)
She's pretty handy!

Gotta love her hot pink sweats!

Now the painting begins!!
A few weeks ago Home Depot had this AWESOME sale and we got like 20 pints of Martha Stewart paints for $4.95, all different colors! So we used a brown that came in that pack for the tree paint.


Finally my little sister woke up around 2 PM and helped us paint!!
She would sleep all day if we would let her!
But what 16 year old wouldn't??

There's Mom with her thinking face on:)
Behind her you can see the pretty crosses that I spray painted pink a few weeks ago,
I'll do a post about that soon!!

FINALLY 5 hours later our beautiful tree is done!!
Job well done huh?
So then I got on the Silhouette Studio and printed off some birds, owls, and leaves on different colored cardstock! I mix and matched the papers to give all my little animals character!
My first instinct was to modpodge these little creatures onto the wall, then when we actually thought about it a few years down the road when we want to take the things OFF the wall it might be kind of difficult.
So this is what we used:

After I applied this adhesive spray on the back of my creatures I started sticking them in place!
My fingers got super sticky after spraying this stuff so I had to use a ruler to push down the birds so I didn't get them dirty!



How cute is that owl??

Here is what I thought was the finished piece..

Then I thought that my tree needed some more leaves to fill it in!!
And HERE is my finished piece!


I am so very happy with this finished project!!
So this project cost less than $20!! Go us!!






25 comments:

Keeping Life Fun with one Craft at a Time said...

That is beautiful!

Unknown said...

I love how it turned out! Kinsley will love her room.

AttemptingAloha said...

AMAZING!! How awesome for you to have family there to help out! Lemme know if you ladies come to HI anytime soon...you're hired! ;)

Linking from Crafting with the Stars, and I'm definitely going to become your newest follower to see what other great things you have in store! Good luck with the competition.

Aloha,
charlie

AttemptingAloha said...

p.s. You'll get more commentors if you turn off the "comment verification" feature...just one extra step for people wanting to show you some love. ;) Aloha!

Anonymous said...

Super cute! :)

Shawn Palmer said...

Love it!!

Jana said...

This turned out great! Thanks for linking up at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!

Lesa said...

Turned out really cute! I'm really into these sweet birds right now too! How fun and love that you did it without the high price!

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

I am a professional muralist...and your DIY is adorable!

If you have a moment tonight, please link up to Creative Juice Thursday...

<3
nicolette @

http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com/2011/01/creative-juice-thursday-6-features-and.htm

Lisa said...

How pretty! What a cute idea for her room! I'm kinda jealous : )

Beth- the mama bee said...

That helps me. I have been thinking about a tree like that with photos of family members on it, but wasn't sure how to mount them. Modge podge was my only thought, but I didn't want to ruin the wall. I will pickup some of that spray mount!

Unknown said...

loved the way it turned out....very pretty

Katherine said...

Very cute! What a great idea to use that spray mount.

MamaBear said...

I LOVE IT.... very cute!

LisaMarie said...

This came out so beautiful!!! I just painted a tree on my bathroom wall and the kids think it's so fun!!

Brooke Douglass said...

I love that sooo much!!! We will be redoing my 3 year olds room and I like this idea!!! Thank you, Brooke
brookedouglass@yahoo.com
Girl Boy Girl Inspired

Jana said...

You've been featured!

http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2011/01/glam-party-10_10.html

AmyH said...

LOVE this!! My daughter's nursery is birds- maybe I need to add a tree:) Thanks for auditioning!

Kristina @ A Home Made by Kiki said...

I love it!! I'm getting ready to start on a tree in my daughters room so this post had perfect timing!! I will be posting it when it is finished over on my blog, A Home Made by Kiki. I'm your newest follower and I would love if you followed me too! Can't wait to see what other crafty things you have planned!

http://ahomemadebykiki.blogspot.com

Beth- the mama bee said...

I linked to you today. I started a tree too... mine will have photo on it. Getting the spray mount today.
Thanks! http://mamabeefromthehive.blogspot.com/2011/01/big-tree-work-in-progress.html

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Ashley,
Gorgeous! You did a great job!!
Happy crafting!
Linda
American Crafter judge

The Cabby Crafter said...

Thanks for sharing this. If I can only paint a tree with branches as good as you guys did, haha. I love the silhouette cut birds/owl/leaves.

Jessica Sorensen said...

Wow that turned out great. Excited to be in American Crafter with you.

Jessica-Mommy Creations

Rachel said...

Very cute! I love the birds.

customized gifts for him said...

This looks great, thanks for sharing! my gifts and pillow
decorative pillow shams
personalized teacher signs
linen cushion covers